Friday, August 26, 2005

IT'S NOT ABOUT US


I am thinking a Christian would have mixed emotions about dying.  I’ve always thought that it would be going Home at last.  Great feelings of safety and warmth and being where I should have been all along.  But it is also going to be with the Most Holy God, the Creator of the World who cannot tolerate sin.  Frightening!  Only by an incredible forgiveness could we dare go into His presence.  Yet that grace has been done me, and I will be welcomed into the arms of Jesus.

One of our shoestring relatives said that my father-in-law has “passed this earthly veil of flesh and gone to his reward.”  Reward?  Is that what it is all about?  Stumping up to the pearly gates and shouting, “Hey guys, here I am, come to get my RE-ward!” 

When we see God for real, with clear eyes, how silly we will see we have been, thinking of ourselves.

And yet…we will be safe in the arms of Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, "reward" has never had the right ring to me. It has seemed too worldly, self-obsessed and ungrateful. Just thinking about the sacrifice that was made for us to be in Heaven is powerful to the extent that, for me, it drives away all thoughts that Heaven is my "reward" for believing in God.Reward? No.Indebted to a Compassionate, Gracious and Merciful Redeemer? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the comment about dying and heaven prompted by reading the Alexander McCall Smith book?  It's been a while since I have read that one, but I just finished (a few weeks ago) his latest one In the Company of Beautiful Ladies.  I must admit he write about some interesting concepts of Christianity interwoven with life in Botswana.  The opening chapter of the newest book comments on the decline of honesty in society in Botswana.  Everyone used to be honest and when Mma Ramotswe tries to stop someone from stealing from a street merchant she gets accused of trying to leave the cafe without paying.

    ReplyDelete