Friday, March 18, 2011

JUST WONDERING

Have you ever taken an airflight and wondered about the businessmen and their telephones?  They're the ones who MUST talk loudly on their phone at the very last minute as the plane is taxiing to the runway, because what they have to say is
VERY IMPORTANT

The funny thing is, it doesn't sound important to me.

You would think the conversation would be something like this:

You did, Tommy?  Did he bring his bike too?  That's great!  I'll be home soon, Honey.  Nummy-nummy....

Or maybe

I miss you, Love.  We're just getting ready to take off, so I'll call you when I get to Atlanta.  Kiss-Kiss.

But if the home and family isn't a draw, perhaps you could expect this talk:

Miss Honeycutt, the pills are in the right-hand drawer of my desk.  Could you send them to my Dallas hotel?

or more business-like:

Miss Honeycutt, could you pull the file on the Jameson account and have Bill go over those figures again?

Instead, he is always talking to another businessman.  So...you would think it would be:

Bill, go over those figures again and see if you can't find a way to...I'll call you when I get into Dallas and see what you've got.

Nope.  It is ALWAYS pompous talk that is very general.  And loud enough for everyone to hear:

WELL, TOM, DIVIDENDS ARE BACK, AND THEIR RETURN COULDN'T HAVE COME AT A BETTER TIME....AND EVEN IF STOCKS FALL APART (MAKE THAT "WHEN" STOCKS FALL APART, AS THEY WILL AT SOME POINT), THOSE THAT PAY DIVIDENDS WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HOLD UP BETTER THAN THOSE THAT DON'T. *

Multiply that by 15 men all doing that on the plane at the same time.

It sounds like a lot of hot air to me, I dunno....?

I wonder if anyone is actually on the other end of that phone...maybe they have a "business-man's agreement" just to confound the rest of us! 

JUST WONDERING!

_________________
* I got these lines out of a magazine.  Maybe they do too!

1 comment: