Friday, November 28, 2008

THANKSGIVING UP OUR DIRECTION

THANKSGIVING UP OUR DIRECTION


I didn't know I was supposed to write a Thanksgiving post till all my xanga friends pointed it out, so I only took one photo on the Big Day.  But it does tell a story.



I was planning to take several of my niece holding her twins, in the hopes that I would end up with one photograph that didn't have closed eyes, open mouths, or arms in the way!  But if you look at the photo closely, perhaps you can guess what might be coming next-and all opportunity for another photo of them was lost.  (HINT:  Mama was not happy)

I spent the day before Thanksgiving cooking as I've done every year, even though this was the first time in years when the meal wasn't going to be at my house!  In this way, my son and I were able to take our own gluten-free food to the feast, and we all came home to leftovers in the evening.

In spite of being gluten-free, we were still able to carry on our tradition of making "turkey bread."  I have a photograph of my children with their turkey bread for every year since we began, so we can't stop now.
Younger son, in grade 1



Even though it definitely took a drastic down-turn for the worse this year...ah well, there are many more new recipes to explore.
Younger son, in grade 11



Everyone in the extended family was kind enough not to mention its loss; the taste of it is something they all look forward to at the holidays.

FRIDAY could be dubbed Teenage Day.  Because some teens who had moved away were coming to the area to visit their grandma, we hosted a get-together in our church basement for the teens to play games, chat, and dance some English Country and contradance.

My older son traveled to pick up some dagorhir warriors from New York state (girls this time) and they slept at our house for a few hours before leaving to attend a dagorhir event in the Washington, D.C. area.  Every mother's dream:  to have children traveling on the highways on Thanksgiving weekend.  If you're dying to see dagorhir in action, click HERE to see a 30-second commercial.

TODAY: Ah, today is the relaxing day, the housecleaning day, the catch-up day, the prepare-for-the-next-whirlwind day!  It is good to have a few hours like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment