Saturday, May 31, 2008

IT’S NEVER EASY


My son is learning things without me.




For a homeschool mom, this can be an emotionally challenging idea to cope with.  For 20 years, we’ve been together and advanced together, but now he’s doing the life-changers on his own.  And I cannot go there. 


Surely homeschool mothers have so many more milestones of letting go than those who send their children off to public school.  I am so grateful that these happen one by one, to help ease the pain. 


Meanwhile, I’ll become an armchair tourist, which is the best I can do.

Identifying marble from various parts of the world, to learn how far away the ancients traded.

  

Walking the streets of Sidi Bou Said, in Tunis
  


The evening place for tea

 

A Muslim cemetery with the Mediterranean beyond



Perhaps some learning experiences I won't miss



3 comments:

  1. I am right there with ya!  We graduated Rob two weeks ago, and one week ago he left for Denver to be gone for almost 7 weeks, which includes two weeks in Liberia.  So many emotions in letting him go and hoping we packed enough in the "suitcase" of his heart.  Plus making plans for college.  Looks like a fantastic trip that your son is on!!  How beautiful.  Hang in there and I will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, so cool....what a wonderful experience for your son. With a 24, a 22, a 20 and a 17 year old....I contemplate the whole letting go process all the time. Just yesterday, in fact....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you shared the photos and am sure you'll be glad to have him back.
    I just have to rant for a minute here. Do you know that computers are not very smart? When I type in www.xanga.com/chickadeefeeder, I think anything with any sense whatsoever would know what I mean by that...

    ReplyDelete