Friday, May 4, 2012

WAVES OF KINDNESS

This past Sunday, our college-age choir sang a very moving rendition of the old hymn It is Well With My Soul.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul. 
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul. 

I can never hear or sing this hymn without thinking of the man who wrote it, standing at the railing of a ship on the ocean as it passed the place where all of his children had drowned in shipwreck.

Imagine--that he could feel and think these thoughts during this hard time.  He truly is a great testimony to all of us.

That's what I was thinking.  But then I looked up across the sanctuary, where:

many of my friends were looking at ME, with grief in their eyes!

That's because I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer this week.  I have been amazed at how much people care about me, and the hurt they have felt when they heard the news.

I wanted to tell them, no! no!  Don't feel that sad.  Although I am nervous about the medical side of things, I have no doubts about the loving kindness of our God, that His plans for me are not random or without care.

Nonetheless, it is wonderful to feel the care of good friends.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this.  I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I always think of the sadness when I sing that song too. I think there are a lot of people who survive these days and I am praying you will not only survive but thrive! Lots of prayers and hugs. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you in Australia. Love and hugs. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  4.          You are ever encouraging others to follow and trust in our loving Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  May you continue to feel the love and care of Him and your brothers and sisters in Christ.  I will continue to pray for His healing, strength, and comfort to you.  I love you and thank God for your friendship and care. Esther Bates

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a beautiful hymn and a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete