Thursday, February 3, 2011

FLAT STANLEY PROJECT

Yesterday I received a letter from a young cousin from another state.  His class is doing a project in an effort to improve their reading skills, to learn about places away from home, and to possibly have a good time while doing it! 

I'm up for that.

Flat Stanley is a character from a picture book of the same name, written by Jeff Brown.  In the story, Stanley becomes flat when a bulletin board falls on him, so his parents mail him to California to visit a friend.

Now my young cousin has done the same (mailed, that is, not flattened).  Flat Stanley is visiting me for a couple of weeks and I'm to let my cousin know about his adventures here.  Below is one of the letters I am sending back.

Dear Cousin,

Have you ever heard of the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?"  That means when you visit people, you should do things the way they do it there.

Apparently, Flat Stanley agrees with that.  Today we went shopping and he had to check out all the Pittsburgh Steelers shirts.


He bought one.


Here he is at the grocery with the check-out lady. 
As you can see, people around here are very excited about the Super Bowl.


By the time you receive this letter, the game will be over and you'll know if Flat Stanley chose the right team to cheer for or not!

With love,
Your cousin.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't picked a team yet. I think most of the family likes the Packers. I guess we'll see. Lol, about Flat Stanley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope poor Stanley was not too disappointed about the game.

    ReplyDelete