Wednesday, December 8, 2010

(see update below)


Days don't always go as you plan, but sometimes a little excitement adds a bit of interest to life:  that is a SURE thing.

This morning the cats and I traveled to the vet for shots.  It is always stressful.  For my part, I worry about whether or not the outdoor cat will be around when it's time for me to pack her up; from the feline viewpoint, I'm sure they have other more major (albeit usually unwarranted) things to worry about.

We have two cats:  Imogene, the mother cat who lives outdoors, and Wheezy, the teen-child who goes both in and out when he desires.  I've talked about Imogene before, how she was a starved and sweetly sad stray when we first met her, how she gifted us with kittens,

how they all became sick and how I saved Wheezy from the brink of death,

how we got Imogene spayed,

and how everything has settled down to pretty much as normal as it can be when you have a cat in the house.

But I did not tell how Imogene is still not completely tame.

She LOVES to be petted, but not to be held or picked up, AND she is terrified of riding in the cat carrier.  The only time she rode alone in one, she pooped and peed herself almost to the death, poor thing.  So now we travel with BOTH cats together in the box, and I make good use of a calming spray too.

Today I drove to the vet with two cats; I returned home with only one. 

Before you break out the tissues to weep with me, let me assure you that Imogene is alive...just not accessible....

Last time we were there, one of my cats had taken a giant leap to the top of the medicine cupboard--slightly bothersome because it puts an animal out of reach.  The artificial plant on top doesn't cover the entire area.  And today I was intrigued to see this spot was still openly inviting to any curious and able-bodied feline that might be passing through.

Imogene, that crafty old girl, not only leaped to the top of the cabinet where we could not reach her, but she also proceeded to lift the ceiling tile, give a quick scramble up, and disappear into the attic regions of the entire building!  Much excitement ensued, flashlights and ladders came out, ceiling tiles were lifted everywhere, and I was even visited by the Head Vet himself.

Here is the fateful hole:

So Wheezy and I came home alone.  Knowing her fear of anyone but family, her love of exploration, and her reluctance to be caught in any regular old season, I wonder how long we will be without her?  And here I PROMISED her, on the entire trip up, that she had a good life now and she didn't have to worry any more!

UPDATE:  One week later, I'm going to bring Imogene home!  She spent 5 days in the "nether regions" without food (she lost half a pound) until they brought a wildlife expert in, who believed she wasn't ABLE to get down.  He built a ramp with a live trap and sardines at the end and 10 minutes later she was caught.  Bad weather prevented me from going to get her, so she's been languishing in the place she fears the most.  She will be glad to get here, I'm sure.


  1. Oh, no!! Poor kitty :(

  2. Oh dear!  Hope she comes down before she has to "go".  We had a cat once that had a penchant for leaping up on things--the counters, the dressers,  the Christmas tree!

  3. That is amazing!  So glad you will be getting her back.

  4. awww, what an adventure. A picture of that trap would be great.  :)

  5. Wow! That's amazing! They look like part Bengal? I know Bengal cats are very ornery and have a wilder streak than a lot of cats. We used to have some years ago. They are very pretty. So glad you got her back. I'll bet they will remember her for a long time at the vet's office!