Tuesday, November 23, 2010

XANGA THANKSGIVING SMORGASBORD 2010

I have been invited to a special place for Thanksgiving this year!  ItsWhatEyeKnow invited a bunch of bloggers to come to her site for dinner, and she asked us to write about what we are bringing to the feast.  Because some folks are bringing a dog and a cat, I was asked to bring festive food dishes for them to eat from.

I have just the thing.

Years ago when we lived in the Big City, I didn't have much of a social life (but then, who needs one when newly married?).  I worked as a school librarian (traveling between three elementary schools) and I became good friends with some of the older ladies who worked at Drake School:  the nurse, two secretaries, and the library clerk.  These four invited me to join them in something they did like clockwork every week without fail:  they made ceramics at Florence's house. 

Florence had a whole little workshop set up in her basement.  She owned a kiln and poured her own slip, molding it into greenware for us to clean, paint, and glaze.  She charged a small fee for the firing and for use of her various glazes, and we also paid for the greenware itself.

But most of all, we enjoyed each other.  We talked and chatted and told stories and gossiped and laughed up a storm.  How fortunate I was to have their company!

Many of the items I made are for the holidays, so I especially think of them when I get out my ceramics to decorate the house.  And since we often made the same things, I know that they or their families are doing the same.  How I miss them!

So this year, I will share my ceramic pumpkin dishes for the cat and dog to eat from, provided they are mannerly and don't knock them about:

For the cat


For the dog


In the meantime, I hope you yourselves are enjoying great fellowship with friends and family--some old and some new, some present with you, some far away, and some only in your memories.  We're thankful for all, aren't we?

3 comments:

  1. Ceramics are so cool! I've never made any but I'm fascinated by the process. Happy Thansgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say I love the dog dish.  :) I have a lovely (but not too extensive) collection because a college friend did ceramics and gave me a holiday set when I was married. She had something for each month, all boxed up separately and wrapped in seasonal paper. It was a fun gift that I always enjoy using.I was thinking of you today and wondering how crazy busy you must be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TobyBo - That is such a wonderful gift--something for each season--what a great idea!  Yes, crazy busy, but that's better than the alternative, you know!  I keep thinking of going to another winter wedding in the evening when your daughter came up to me and gave me a gift from you--THAT was so cool!

    ReplyDelete