Thursday, May 7, 2009

ANOTHER TWO

Last summer at a routine medical checkup, the doctor asked if I was sleeping well in the mornings. 

"Well, we sleep with some windows open.  The birds often wake me up."

"Oh yes," replied the doctor.  "They can be noisy, can't they?"

And my reply:  "Oh, it's not really that.  I'll be sleeping sound, don't you know, and suddenly I'll be sitting upright in bed with a sharp intake of breath:  'OHHH!!!  It's a yellow-billed cuckoo, we have a yellow-billed cuckoo at our house!!  I didn't even know we had one of those!'"

The penalties (and rewards) of learning bird song.

On Tuesday we went on another naturalist-guided walk.  We identified 37 different wildflowers in bloom at the Wildflower Reserve at Raccoon Creek State Park.  And again I added two birds to my Life List:  the Blue-winged Warbler and the Yellow-throated Warbler.

Blue-winged Warbler


The Virginia Bluebells are now fading away from blue to white.



But Jack-in-the-Pulpit is looking fantastic.  See him in there?  We learned that if you gently squeeze the flower, you can hear Jack squeak.



We also saw 4 or 5 kinds of Trillium (if you count the hybrid).



Here's a Snowberry Clearwing moth.  He looks like a bumblebee, but isn't.



If you ever get a chance to visit a Great Blue Heron rookery, please do--before the leaves come out on the trees.  We saw 40-50 nests here, with parents coming and going.  Truly an amazing thing to see (and hear).


5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your nature trek!  Have you seen this great eagle nest online?  The chick is huge now, and I think he must have doubled his weight one week.  It's amazing to have this constant view of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know there were that many varieties of trillium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That moth picture makes me think I might have gotten a picture of one of those. I'm not sure. I didn't realize there was a moth that looks so much like a bumble bee! I so enjoy photographing  insects. Maybe I'll find one someday that's evolving. Lol! Maybe I'll find one that they thought was extinct. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could go with you on one of those walks. I love walking in the woods and seeing amazing wild life. My husband and I go to a state park that is close to us, and walk all the time. We see beaver, deer, all kinds of wild life.  God blessKelly

    ReplyDelete