Friday, May 1, 2009

ADDING TO THE LIST

This week I added to my Life List by two.  No, I haven't replaced sugar with eating broccoli in order to add years to my life--but I did see two birds I had never seen before!  A Louisiana Waterthrush and a Swainson's Thrush can now be added to my list of Birds I Have Seen During My Lifetime.

We spent a day with a kind and very knowledgeable naturalist who teaches us the names and "goings-on" of the plants, animals, butterflies, and birds of our area.  I very much appreciate knowing the names of things in my world.

Looking for salamanders, newts, crayfish, and whatever else might live under a rock.


Blue-Eyed Mary has distinctive petals; the presence of this plant indicates high quality woodlands.  Another name for it is Innocence.



These Spotted Salamander eggs look like a throbbing, glowing alien presence.



The fields of Virginia Bluebells showed astonishing color.



Bluebells are also called "Lungwort" because it was believed to have medicinal properties for the treatment of respiratory difficulties.



The Large-flowered Trillium is blooming right now.  We can't pick these flowers, as it can damage the plant, which takes a very long time to mature.  Trillium doesn't smell nice; its pollinators are flies, beetles, and ants.




6 comments:

  1. do you ever think what an incredible job Adam had naming everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!  We had a nice walk at Wolf Creek Narrows (just a mile and a half so from our place, or a half mile as the crow flies!) yesterday afternoon and saw those bluebells and trillium all over the place. You ought to stop over there and have a comparison stroll--let me know if you need directions. It's the place Steve likes to take the Creation Walks.  Pam and I walked over there and enjoyed the path on our weekly walk from my place Tuesday--it's about four miles round trip if you include the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nature walks and lessons. I enjoyed yours today. I remember seeing your brother! I have to go look and see if he got into any of my pictures. If he did I'll post it but I won't say who it is. Maybe I can message you if I find him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous flower pictures! I've never heard of a blue-eyed Mary. I will make it one of my favorite flowers from now on. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely wildflowers. Springtime is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete